Sunday, October 27, 2013

Life Hack: Why You Should Refurbished Macs Over New


I recently purchased a refurbished Mac and got a smoking good deal and I wanted to share my experience with everyone, so they could learn about the value to be had. First off, not all refurbished models are broken ones that were repaired and then resold. Apple and other laptop makers don't want to tell you, but a good amount of units that are considered refurbished are actually brand new units with nothing wrong with them. The unit was for a day or two in some cases and returned because the customer didn't like it for some reason. 

My purchase story: I was browsing the web and came across Apple's refurbished store and decided to take a look at what the Cupertino tech company was offering. I found they were selling a (June 2013) 11 inch Macbook Air selling for $849 which is roughly $150 off the unit's new in box price. 

The next part will probably surprise you as much as it did me. I thought I was getting the base model with 128GBs of storage, a 1.3GHz i5 processor and 4GB of RAM, but Apple ended up sending me 128GB 11 inch with an i7 1.7GHz processor and 8GB of RAM instead. If you want the i7 processor Apple charges you $150 to upgrade to the speedier processor and another $100 for the upgrade from 4 to 8GB of RAM. Basically, I wound up paying $849 for a computer that normally retails for $1250 and found there's nothing wrong with it. The unit looked and felt brand new as there was absolutely no scratches on it and the power adapter was wrapped in Apple's signature plastic wrapping. 

Why did I get such a great deal? I assume that I purchased a custom order someone had placed and then returned, since you have to make a custom ordered Macbook Air to get the upgraded internals. So, there you have it you sometimes can get killer deals by purchased refurbished products and I know I'll be buying my next Macbook refurbished too. 

By: Jason Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment